Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Resume Etiquette

When I was a Sr. in high school, I remember taking a class (I do not recall what it was called) that was required to graduate. This class taught us how to apply for a job, type up a cover letter, and what a resume was suppose to look like.

Your future employer wants to see a very clean cut resume. That includes clean white paper with no folds, tears or stains. Your resume should include: your name, address, email address and the best phone number to reach you at.

A short paragraph stating what it is you are looking for in a job postilion and how your previous work experience would help you do well in this field. Then as fallows your work history (starting with your last job first then going back), education, then achievements. References are nice to put on a resume, but it is not necessary.  A lot of employers do not like looking at 2-4 pages resumes. Keeping it short and sweet on one page is the best.

Also obnoxious fonts, ink color, tiny front, and designs are not professional. Arial font or Times New Roman are normally the best fonts to use for a resume.

I have seen a lot of resumes come threw in the last year. Today I took 3 resumes; only 1 out of 3 resumes would be what I would call a perfect formatted resume. The other 2 resumes were only 75% correct. They were given to us folded in half, it left huge (ugly) crease marks in the paper.

Lucky for the applicants I am not the one doing the hiring. If it was me, I would have tossed them straight into the trash bin.

No comments:

Post a Comment